Saturday, June 10, 2017

IM Boulder 2017 Pre-Race Report

I've never written a pre-race report before. I've also never been this excited to race, and I want to capture all the awesomeness of that feeling while I still have it, before whatever does or doesn't happen tomorrow clouds my memory of the pre-race glow.

Up through last week, I was a bit of a wreck. My brain had been gone, and I mean GONE, for a solid three weeks. And my legs had felt like absolute crap for about two weeks, which was concerning. I tell all of my athletes that "during taper, you're going to feel worse before you feel better - and that's ok!" Of course when it happens to me, I turn into a basket case and start to question all of my race effort targets and race day goals.

Finally, on Tuesday (T-5 days!) my run legs actually showed up for a run. Then I had a really great swim - hit a bunch of fast 100s on an aggressive interval - and I began to think that I might come out of my slump just in time for race day. My Wednesday bike was still questionable, but I told myself I still had a few days and that trainer power and power meter power might not be matched up.

Wednesday afternoon, though, things really started to turn around. I was featured in an Athlete Spotlight video on the Ironman Boulder Facebook page, which was totally unexpected and pretty darn awesome. I went and got my race nails done with some friends from masters swim, and we spent a few hours chatting and laughing and I swear laughter really might be the best medicine.

Sure, I've had a few nutty moments since then, but mostly I've just been excited. I'm having so much fun walking around and seeing people I know *EVERYWHERE*. I've actually started budgeting extra time for stuff like gear drop off just for all the run-ins and chatting. And it's so much fun to hear that basically everyone I know is going to be out there cheering. I had NO IDEA how much fun it was going to be to race in my hometown.

And on top of all of that, I've got some good mojo that's been passed down from some amazing triathletes. I posted a photo of me, Rinny and Heather Jackson on my (brand spanking new) Instagram account - and HJ responded and wished me luck in my race!!! Plus, Dave Scott - my masters swim coach since September - told me to "Race with Confidence." And when Dave tells you something, you know that supersedes any previous race plan you had in place.

So that's what I'm going to do. Race with Confidence, and enjoy the home town crowd. YEA!!!